LEED & EPD
On behalf of our member producing companies, STI has developed an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for Hollow Structural Sections (HSS) and related products such as standard pipe, foundation piling and mechanical tubing. This EPD can be used to calculate credits within the LEEDv4 rating system and to meet a growing number of procurement requirements for government and industry, including Buy Clean legislation.
More detailed information on fundamentals of environmental issues, Buy Clean, and helpful tips for steel suppliers, fabricators, and designers can be found in this article.
Fabricated and Non-Fabricated HSS
The industry-average EPD linked below applies to standard, non-fabricated HSS. An EPD covering fabricated HSS is in development by American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) and a link will be included on this site once this information becomes available.
We expect that beginning July 1, 2022, the awarding authorities will determine GWP limit compliance of eligible materials using Environmental Products Declarations. Stand by for updates.
View the Revised Buy Clean California and the Steel Supply Chain Webinar
View the Revised Buy Clean California and the Steel Supply Chain Webinar Q&A
This EPD covers the following ASTM standards:
- ASTM A500 Standard Specification for Cold-Formed Welded and Seamless Carbon Steel Structural Tubing in Rounds and Shapes
- ASTM A513 Standard Specification for Electric-Resistance-Welded Carbon and Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing
- ASTM A847 Standard Specification for Cold-Formed Welded and Seamless High-Strength, Low-Alloy Structural Tubing with Improved Atmospheric Corrosion Resistance
- ASTM A1085 Standard Specification for Cold-Formed Welded Carbon Steel Hollow Structural Sections (HSS)
Additionally, the following products are produced by the manufacturers and are included in this declaration as they use the same materials and processes to manufacture:
- ASTM A135 Standard Specification for Electric-Resistance-Welded Steel Pipe
- ASTM A252 Standard Specification for Welded and Seamless Steel Pipe Piles
- ASTM A53 Standard Specification for Pipe
- ASTM A795 Standard Specification for Black and Hot-Dipped Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) Welded and Seamless Steel Pipe for Fire Protection
- CSA G40.21 General Requirements for Rolled or Welded Structural Quality Steel
The following companies participated in the development of the EPD through their membership in STI. For that reason, this EPD is only applicable to products supplied by these firms. All STI members who produce HSS contributed to this EPD, including:
- Atlas Tube
- Nucor Tubular Products
- Maruichi American Corporation
- Maruichi Leavitt Pipe & Tube, LLC
- Maruichi Oregon Steel Tube (MOST)
- Searing Industries
- Vest, Inc.
- Wheatland Tube
Additional EPD Resources:
To help steel suppliers and designers navigate Buy Clean California Act legislation and environmental impacts of HSS and steel, we compiled the following resources:
UPDATE: The State of California has pushed back the date of the Buy Clean California legislation to become effective on July 1, 2022. STI and AISC will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.