LEED & EPD
On behalf of our member producing companies, STI has developed an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for Hollow Structural Sections (HSS) and related products such as standard pipe, foundation piling and mechanical tubing. This EPD can be used to calculate credits within the LEEDv4 rating system and to meet a growing number of procurement requirements for government and industry.
This EPD applies to standard, non-fabricated HSS. An EPD covering fabricated HSS was developed by American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) and can be found on the AISC website.
This EPD covers the following ASTM standards:
- ASTM A500 Standard Specification for Cold-Formed Welded and Seamless Carbon Steel Structural Tubing in Rounds and Shapes
- ASTM A513 Standard Specification for Electric-Resistance-Welded Carbon and Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing
- ASTM A847 Standard Specification for Cold-Formed Welded and Seamless High-Strength, Low-Alloy Structural Tubing with Improved Atmospheric Corrosion Resistance
- ASTM A1085 Standard Specification for Cold-Formed Welded Carbon Steel Hollow Structural Sections (HSS)
Additionally, the following products are produced by the manufacturers and are included in this declaration as they use the same materials and processes to manufacture:
- ASTM A252 Standard Specification for Welded and Seamless Steel Pipe Piles
- ASTM A53 Standard Specification for Pipe
- CSA G40.21 General Requirements for Rolled or Welded Structural Quality Steel
The following companies participated in the development of the EPD through their membership in STI. For that reason, this EPD is only applicable to products supplied by these firms. All STI members who produce HSS contributed to this EPD, including:
- Atlas Tube
- Hannibal Industries, Inc.
- Nucor Tubular Products (formerly Independence Tube)
- Maruichi American Corporation
- Maruichi Leavitt Pipe & Tube, LLC
- Maruichi Oregon Steel Tube (MOST)
- Searing Industries
- Nucor Tubular Products (formerly Southland Tube)
- Vest, Inc.