Steel conduit truly is the winning wiring solution. Here’s why:
As buildings get more complex, the National Electric Code® (NFPA 70) places more restrictions on more wiring methods — but steel conduit is still allowed everywhere. That’s because it provides the best protection in every location. Building owners across applications depend on steel because it:
- Protects against impact at all temperatures
- Deflects hand-driven nails and screws, and doesn’t stretch or tear
- Demonstrates durability and the highest yield / tensile strengths
- Offers exceptional fire resistance
- Provides electrical path to ground
- Reduces EMF by up to 95% at power frequencies
- Has a compatible coefficient of expansion with most construction materials
See the graphic below for examples of steel conduit applications.
Most Resilient and Sustainable
Long-lasting and highly recyclable, steel conduit demonstrates the greatest resiliency and is the most sustainable raceway option.
Most Flexible and Affordable
As buildings change and expand over time, other wiring solutions have to be removed and reinstalled — but steel conduit can be reused again and again. It might cost more upfront, but steel conduit delivers significant savings over time. The cost comparison in the following graphic shows the proof.
Faster to Install than You Might Think
In this Raceway Challenge comparison video, two electricians demonstrate how to install conduit and MC cable in a test environment. Conduit is faster than you might think, and it provides a wide range of long-term advantages.
7 Reasons Steel Conduit Is Best for Your Building
In a recent article in gb&d (Green Building & Design), STI explained all the reasons why steel conduit is the most cost-effective and long-lasting raceway solution for your building.